Georgia Cosmetology Continuing Education Course FAQs
Who is required to take this course?
Aside from the exceptions below, anyone in Georgia with a cosmetology, esthetician, nail technician, or hair designer license must take 5 hours of continuing education every two years as part of the renewal process. You do not have to take continuing education if you meet one of the following conditions:
- It is your first license renewal-if you've become licensed in the last two years and this is the first time you've ever had to file for renewal;
- You have been licensed for 25 years or longer-fill out the "Cosmetology Request for CE Waiver" found here: http://sos.georgia.gov/acrobat/PLB/28%20Cosmetology%20Request%20for%20CE%20Waiver.pdf
- You have a hardship relating to age, disability (permanent or temporary), illness, or other circumstances-fill out the "Cosmetology Request for CE Waiver" found here: http://sos.georgia.gov/acrobat/PLB/28%20Cosmetology%20Request%20for%20CE%20Waiver.pdf
Does this course meet Georgia state guidelines?
Yes. This course is approved by the Georgia Board of Cosmetology to meet your continuing education requirements to renew your license. Our course provider number is CEP-000082.
When is my renewal due?
Your renewal is due before your current license expires. The expiration date for your license depends on the type of license you have:
Cosmetologist: March 31 of even-numbered years
Esthetician: August 31 of odd-numbered years
Nail Technician: August 31 of odd-numbered years
Hair Designers: September 30 of even-numbered years
You are welcome and encouraged to complete your continuing education requirement early, however, and may take the course at any point in the two years before your renewal date.
How long is the course?
The course is 5 hours long. Due to state regulation, you must spend the entire five hours taking the course, and timers are used to ensure you do so. However, the course is fully online and saves your progress automatically, so you may log on and off as much as you want to take it on your time.
What topics are covered?
The four topics covered are as follows:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Skin, Diseases, and Disorders
- Decontamination and Infection Control
- Additional Health & Safety Issues in the Salon Environment
Is there a test?
No! There are no quizzes and no final exam. Just follow along with the material. When you reach the end, you are done.
What happens once I finish the course?
Once you come to the end of the course, you will be able to immediately download a certificate showing you have successfully completed your 5 hours of continuing education.
What do I do to renew my license?
You will need to apply for your license renewal with the Georgia Professional Licensing Board at their website: https://secure.sos.state.ga.us/mylicense/Login.aspx?process=ren